Distribution-specific builds

For quite some time now, we’ve attempted to distribute OpenPanel as a single set of packages. In theory this works fine, as ABI changes should be reflected in Debian’s package names. However, more and more problems came up lately where older versions of libraries vanished from newer distributions and Ubuntu has shown more ABI-divergence from Debian than we anticipated.

To solve this problem, we’ve decided to create separate builds for each of our supported platforms: Debian Lenny and  Squeeze, Ubuntu Lucid and Natty. For now, Ubuntu Oneiric and Precise point to Natty’s packages, and Ubuntu Maveric points to Lucid’s packages. Note that these platforms are not supported (yet).

To switch your OpenPanel installation to the new packages, you’ll need to change your /etc/apt/source.list. The basic syntax is:

deb http://download.openpanel.com/deb <distribution> main
deb-src http://download.openpanel.com/deb <distribution> main

where distribution should be replaced by the code name for your distribution; either lenny, squeeze, wheezy, lucid, maverick, natty, oneiric or precise.

For OpenApp, append openapp to the deb line:

deb http://download.openpanel.com/deb <distribution> main openapp
deb-src http://download.openpanel.com/deb <distribution> main openapp

Keep in mind that Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid is presently the only supported distribution for OpenApp; other distributions might just work, but we’ve never tested it.

14 Responses to “Distribution-specific builds”

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

Gio says:

Currently having problems with getting OpenApp installed on Debian 6, it keep complaining about missing dependencies yet doesn’t install them…tried my best to correct them but I couldn’t get it.

Gio says:

As a follow up, the same thing happens when I try to do it in Ubuntu…

Joshua says:

Same exact issues. None of the Open Panel builds will install on Ubuntu.

kvdveer says:

The problems with Ubuntu were caused by a missing package. The package has been re-uploaded, and all should be fine now. Thanks for reporting this issue.

Li Li says:

Thanks for your amazing openpanel, it’s really simple and cool!
The UI is better than other control panel products. Thanks again for such a great panel!

Daniel says:

Thanks so much for this awesome control panel. I have tried multiple panels and this is by far the best. Despite there being a few features not included yet, I see them on the roadmap. You have a user for a long time. And if your roadmap is followed with some timely updates, you may have me for as long as I run a web server.

james says:

PLease help me

I installed teh OpenPanel like a charm but the OpenApp doesn’t work, I already put on the 2 deb line on sources.list also, I apt update and upgrade and make all possible thing, was stuck on Broken packages ? Do you know why it does that, also I’m on Ubuntu Lucid. thx to All

Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
openapp-mysql: Depends: openpanel-openapp-mod-mysql but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

mark says:

I also get the error james posted however I’m on precise, i am now doing a clean install and try again, will post result

Tom says:

Where is wheezy distro?

Steve says:

Guys please i want to change the port 4089 without SSl ! any one can help please ?

ibot says:

There is no wheezy directory on your servers

Jan Doedel says:

As others have reported, looking forward to the wheezy distribution, but the directory is not available on the openpanel server.

Please upload the wheezy distribution, very much looking forward to it! :-)

I know this web page offers quality based content and extra material,
is there any other website which offers these things in quality?